12.02.2001

Germs seem to have me in a headlock today, so the only joyful noise I'm making this Lord's day is a lovely bark of lungs trying hard to clear themselves of gunk. I'd forgotten that expectorant syrup makes you cough more. Somehow this is good. Go figure.

I have some catching up to do here. In the past week I have seen the Harry Potter film and finished The Sparrow. Both are worthy of comment.

Joel and I read the first four Potter books with great relish. They work within so many traditions--fantasy, coming of age, fairy tales, and of course boarding school tales. I was relieved to hear that the cast and director for the film were British. I shudder at the thought of the likes of Spielberg getting his hands on the script. So much of the story's flavor appeals to me because it is about being a kid in Britain, where boarding schools have a long tradition of excellence. I think the film is excellently cast, except for Dumbledore, who I've always pictured as being like my father-in-law, except with white hair. They cast a too-ancient Gandolf-type. But I guess that's the archetype of great leadership (think Moses in The Ten Commandments).

I also thought the sets and costumes where fantastic. At Hogwarts, the kids wear grey uniforms with ties and scarves in their house colors. Over the uniforms, they wear open black robes, just like the undergrads at Oxford on exam days. It's a nice touch that's more academic than witchy, and seems in keeping with Rowling's treatment of magic as a kind of science that must be studied and practiced. The uniforms for their magical sport quiddich are based on polo uniforms--it's brilliant because this is also a game that requires riding skill. Hogwarts school itself is full of wonderful Gothic architecture. I think that does a lot to dispell some of the sense that this magic is in any way demonic. How could that happen in a place that looks so church-like with valuted ceilings and cloister walks?

I was only disappointed that so much had to be cut out to make this fit into an "acceptable time frame." Many of the characters are underdeveloped as a result. The Dursleys scenes are cut down to almost nothing. Harry's rivalry with his nemesis Malfoy are only hinted at. Harry's sense of alienation, which makes him such a sympathetic character, is also drastically downplayed. My husband commented after the movie that if we hadn't read the book, the movie probably would not have made much sense.

I'll come back to The Sparrow later because I'm getting too tired to continue. Darned germs. :-(

No comments: