9.03.2003

Kitty crisis
Mr. Keats has had some continence problems lately, so I asked Joel to take him to the vet. I figured it was just a urinary tract infection. Well, the vet said Keats doesn't have other UTI symptoms like a fever. His thirst and weight loss over the past 3 months did worry the vet though.

So they took some blood and are testing Keats for feline diabetes and kidney disease. Neither diagnosis sounds like a fun road ahead to me. We frankly can't afford the costly care if he has either condition, but I don't relish the thought of having to put down a cat who's only 2 years old. :-( I doubt anyone would be keen to adopt a chronically ill pet.

There is an outside chance that Keats has an anxiety disorder, because he also licked part of one of his legs bald. If that's the case, a month on medication should cure him.

We'll have a better idea when the lab results come in. It's hard not to worry about the worst case scenario.

No comments: