4.15.2005

Giving up
At what point do you feel it's okay to give up on a book that just isn't grabbing you? One of my friends has an age based rule. Teens and twenties need to give a book 100 pages to hook them, she says, while those over 30 should be able to tell within 50 pages if a tome is indeed a waste of time.

I fear I may have given up too much of my time struggling with a book called The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. The author's name itself sounds like a snarky nerd joke--perhaps that should have been a clue. The dust jacket description, however, made it sound fun:

"In Jasper Fforde's Great Britain, circa 1985, time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection. But when someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature and plucks Jane Eyre from the pages of Brontë's novel, Thursday is faced with the challenge of her career."

Perhaps I've been spoiled by J.K. Rowling, but his attempts at world building are clunky and self-conscious, not fun and flowing like Rowlings'. He also does not even remotely write a convincing female narrative voice.

Hmm, if I'd read what I just wrote in an amazon review, I never would have borrowed this book in the first place. That's arguement enough. Life's too short to waste on books that don't make you feel more alive.

No comments: