Limited atonement gone awry?
Claire and I were working on a note to Grandma (my mother) today, and she asked why her grandmother is in Texas instead of Florida right now. I explained that she's working in the office of a Christian radio network that broadcasts into Mexico so that Mexican people can learn about Jesus.
"I don't want that," Claire said.
"You don't want people in Mexico to hear about Jesus?"
"No. He's MY Jesus."
"But Jesus loves them and he wants them to love him back."
"I don't want to share. They can go away."
Claire says this sort of thing about everything she likes, from strawberries to her dollhouse. I explained that Jesus isn't like Cheerios that can run out if you give some away. She softened her stance when she began to understand, and decided that it was in fact a good thing for people in Mexico to love Jesus back.
I'm still not quite sure what to make of this strange conversation. Should we be working harder to nurture her missionary spirit? Perhaps. I may be making more of it than what it is--a typical 3-year-old's jealous guarding of what is beloved. It sure beats indifference to our Savior and Lord.
1 comment:
Don't worry Laurel. I'm sure that within a year or two she'll be reading N.T. Wright, and she'll understand that Mexicans belong at the Table too. ;-)
Post a Comment