Another update
Thanks for your continued prayers for my relative who attempted suicide last month. He was moved from a medical floor to the psych unit a few weeks ago, though he is still on a feeding tube for nutrition. The doctors have changed his medication from antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication to one that stabilizes bipolar disorder. He doesn't have an official bipolar diagnosis, but this medication experiment may prompt one. Some of the literature I've read says antidepressants will make a bipolar patient worse, and he appears to have reacted that way.
The more researchers study bipolar disorder, the more they find a continuum of symptoms, particularly in the manic phase. Not all bipolar patients will behave as if they're "king of the world" while having a manic episode. Some will be agitated, paranoid, unable to sleep or concentrate, or have thoughts swirling like a hamster running on its wheel. The more I read, the more I marvel at the mystery of the human mind.
The best news I've heard yet is that my relative's care team is developing a plan for his release from the hospital that will involve a month of day treatment. Our big fear was that he would be under-treated and sent home too early with no support in place, with disastrous results. The developing plan sounds very promising.
Please continue to pray for his continued progress in therapy and good results with medications. Pray for his wife and daughters to be stengthened and filled with hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment