Happy blogiversary to me!
On this day in 2001 I began my blog odyssey. Sadly, I have mostly blogged about very silly things, not too many poems in progress or other zaniness like my descriptor says. I decided to celebrate by reading over some old entries and remembering fun things (and some sad ones) from the past 4 years.
June 27, 2002
"In college I sang in a rock band, did theatre and created a poetry group called the Janitor Poets (we all had custodial work-study jobs)."
I wonder what ever happened to my fellow janitor poets. Now that i'm home compulsively tidying, I see how cleaning can free your mind for creativity. If you wish to become a true poet, I say take up your mop and shine!
Feb. 6, 2003
"I really love the writing on Gilmore Girls. Two days after seeing the new episode, I still chuckle when I remember some of the lines.
This cracks me up:
Lorelei to Sherry: Just don't look at the baby too closely until they clean it up, or you might think you gave birth to phlegm."
I'm not sure the writing is quite as zippy this season....
Feb. 5, 2003
"I hate how dementia has taken my Dad from me, and that neither Joel nor Claire will ever know my other Dad, the smart, funny, gifted, creative, fix-everything guy."
This saddened me especially last week, when I remembered the anniversary of my father's death on Nov 2, 2003.
April 13, 2003
"The network execs at Fox must be smoking crack. How else can you explain a show like "The Pitts"? Its central comic concept about a family of accident-prone losers is about as funny as a train wreck. I can't say I've managed to sit through an episode yet. I think I'd rather watch a whole season of "Charles in Charge" reruns than one episode of "The Pitts." The ads for the show are so painful the thirty second exposure makes me want to run from the room and call the nearest psychiatric center to schedule electric shock treatment."
That show was on the air for a month, I think! Sense wins again.
Aug 31, 2003
"This evening I returned a video to the video store. As I was leaving, a car full of nuns pulled into the parking lot.
What do you suppose they were going to rent? The Sound of Music? Sister Act? My guess? The Fast and the Furious. :-)"
Dec. 14, 2003
"Listening to the radio during breakfast, we heard a long segment on the capture of Saddam Hussein. At one point in the broadcast, a crowd reacted to the news with clapping and cheering.
In response, our toddler daughter kicked her high chair tray, clapped and said 'woot!'
Or should that be w00t? Only 16 months old, and she's picking up Internet chat slang. Thanks bq."
Feb. 24, 2004
"Boohbah makes Teletubbies look like Shakespeare. I really think you need to be under age 2 or a drug user to fully appreciate it. Almost no talking occurs during the program. For a good portion of the show, a glowing ball with a rainbow trail bounces around while children's voices say "Booh-bah" repeatedly and giggle.
The ball eventually lands and these five freaky creatures come out. They have turtle-like retractable kewpie-doll heads--but no mouth or nose--and bulbous bodies in rainbow shades. These creatures would have been the stuff of nightmares for me as a kid. They never, ever talk. They just roll their eyes from side to side with a clicking sound. Creepy. They do occasionally squeak and sing five-note chords. And they dance a lot. In fact, about all they do is dance. How children are supposed to learn anything from watching these singing rainbow freaks gyrate and sway is a total mystery to me."
Such fun, but that's enough for now....
2 comments:
Happy Blogiversary!
Ditto! :-)
Post a Comment