Casting
Over Joel's winter break we have been watching videos galore. Among the lighter fare was Bewitched, based on the TV show that was in syndication all through my childhood. The film is about as deep as the old show ever was. Cute, light fun. I was surprised at how well Nicole Kidman does comedy. And she has a fairly strong resemblance to Elizabeth Montgomery.
The Darrin character, however was badly miscast in my opinion. Will Farrell is great at slapstick, but not comedies of manners. The TV Darrin was always so concerned about others' opinions of his familiy, always a bit nervous and fussy. Darrin just isn't a gallumping slob. I really think Jim Carey would have been a far better actor for the role. He does nervous/neurotic well, and I'm sure he could have nailed those bug-eyed Darrin expressions.
I've heard that some new Pink Panther films are being made. Sadly, more bad casting will likely doom them to flopdom. I enjoy Steve Martin, but he's no Clouseau. I've seen Martin attempt European, and he just seems moronic. I think you need an actual European to really nail the role. What was so hilarious about Sellers was his embodying so many of the British stereotypes of the French. For my money, I'd really like to see Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean, Black Adder) bring Clouseau back to the screen.
2 comments:
Laurel, the previews of Pink Panther I saw at the movies had me laughing out loud - so I hope you are wrong about Steve Martin, though you are probably right.
Over Christmas we got the Complete Mr. Bean on three disks from Netflix -- hillarious. Our conversations at home have been peppered lately with all kinds of Bean-quotes. :) He would make an awesome Clouseau.
I was all excited about Martin as Clouseau, and then I read your post and agree with you and now I'm disappointed.
And I haven't even seen the movie! Or even seen the Peter Sellers version (what's wrong with me!)
More disillusionment: finding out how Monty Python is a rip-off of Seller's "The Goon Show"
Post a Comment