Oso del teddy
Whenever Claire and I work on "school" things--art, music, counting, identifying letters and sounds--she asks if we can do a Spanish project. I'm certain this fascination with Spanish comes from Rosita on Sesame Street. Unfortunately, I know little of the language since I studied German in high school and college. I certainly don't want to discourage her interest due to my lack of expertise, however.
So this weekend, when she asked about a Spanish project, I said, "What words do you want to learn?" I pulled up Alta Vista's trusty Babelfish program and translated a few words to get us started. Spanish for "teddy bear," for example, is oso del teddy.
But this is a kind of dumb and disorganized approach. There has to be some book or video or tape series designed for teaching languages to preschool kids. I could really use some recommendations.
7 comments:
My three year old niece is absolutely crazy for Dora the Explora, and she has picked up all kinds of spanish words through her books.
Teddy Bear in spanish is actually just "Oso de Peluche" peluche being stuffed toy.
The relationship with Roosevelt didn't make it to the spanish language so the teddy part of it is almost nonexistant. :D
As for preschooler shows that showcase both english ans spanish I have no idea.
Drat that babelfish, always too woodenly word for word. Thanks for the correction.
We've watched Dora once and totally hated it. Sorry, but that is one obnoxious cartoon character. She never talks--she only shouts! Not the sort of behavior I want emulated around here. Training Claire to be polite and respectful--and overcome the natural tendency of 3-year-olds to be a dictator--is challenge enough.
Now that I think of it, given Teddy Roosevelt's role in the Spanish-American War, I'm not surprised Spanish speakers are keen on "Teddy" bears.
I think ya mean "not keen" ;-)
I've never seen Dora- good to know!
Check out the Muzzy DVDs put out by the BBC -- I've only heard good things about them, though they are pricey. The pre-K and younger elementary school students enjoyed them at the school I taught at. Check the library, maybe?
Post a Comment