Here's an interesting idea I found in Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson:
"This is my Lost Property Cupboard theory of the afterlife--when we die, we are taken to a great Lost Property Cupboard where all the things we have ever lost have been kept for us....all the library books, all the cats that never came back...and perhaps, too, the other less tangible things--tempers and patience...and oceans of time."
What would you find in your metaphysical lost property cupboard? Here are a few of the contents of mine:
The squeaker for my rubber duckie, several very hypnotic marbles, the knight to my Fisher-Price castle, 7 kittens, my cats Tyler the ginger cat and Misty the tabby, the turtle I nursed back to health, several beach towels, a clip-on koala and rabbit, a Rubic's-cube keychain, a gross or more buttons, two ascots to my band uniform, a pair of brass mallets, 6 or 7 pebble-palm gloves (also to band uniform), My regional choir medal, the one and only oil painting I did in high school art class, negatives from the 8 rolls of film I shot in Ireland in 1985, Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, a mug with a quarter-note-shaped handle, $60+ owed by college roommates for phone bills, an Oneida stainless steel cake server, 4,679 bobby pins, 35 mateless earrings, and 485 mateless socks and knee-highs.
And the intangibles....a sense of invulnerability, a love of wearing leotards, an attachment to my yellow blanket, the fear of driving, the fear of seatbelts (once trapped in a car after an accident, but I got over it), the desire to beat my big brother at something, my naivete about men, a great deal of temper, and several years' time.
No comments:
Post a Comment