Lacrimosa
As part of our Good Friday observence, we attended a concert put on by the Ama Deus ensemble at the big Catholic cathedral here in Philly. They performed a Gregorian chant setting of the "Stabat Mater," followed by a Verdi setting of the same text. The group also performed a Verdi setting of the "Ave Maria" and Mozart's setting of the "Ave Verum Corpus." Finally, they closed with Mozart's "Requiem."
Sadly, the only piece that was truly outstanding was the chant. And it had nothing to do with the group's virutosity. They set up the orchestra and choir right beneath the dome in the cathedral--the absolutely worst spot acoustically for most classical music. With all of that open space, the sound waves echo and overlap excessively. All the snap of Mozart becomes a muddy mess.
The last time I heard the same group perform Mozart's "Requiem" in a different venue, it I couldn't keep from weeping because of how achingly, powerfully beautiful the music was. This time I wanted to cry for the performers who I knew were doing an equally amazing job that this cavernous cathedral was warping, disorting.
So much for grandiose scenes. We would have had a better auditory fortaste of heaven had the performers been crammed into the choir loft at the back of the church.
No comments:
Post a Comment