Spoonful of sugar
Mary Poppins really was on to something. Getting cooperation from a 2-year-old (a risky venture at best) can indeed be achieved through songs and games. I've discovered I can avoid being kicked repeatedly in the face while changing diapers if I sing "If you're happy and you know it" with new verses. We focus on face things, like "blink your eyes," "wiggle your tongue" and "beep your nose" and the once-flailing legs become compliant.
"Here we go 'round the mulberry bush" also adapts to many situations, like "this is the way we pick up the toys at bedtime in the evening." "Farmer in the Dell" can become "crayon in the box, the crayon in the box, blue, yellow, red and green, the crayon in the box." A good old round of "Eeny, meenie, miney, moe" has facilitated many choices of wardrobe, foods and activities.
This week, Claire learned a game that totally rocks: Simon Says. In just two days I've "played" this to get help cleaning up toys and compliance with the bedtime routine. I definitely enjoy this positive approach, and so does the little one.
No comments:
Post a Comment