Finished
I zipped right through The High Flyer yesterday, thanks to being too sick to work. My very congested sinuses kept me in bed all day. I think it's the first time I've taken a sick day and not turned on the TV even once.
All I can say is wow. What a tremendous book. I'm amazed that I'd forgotten so much of the plot after two and a half years. My brain must be getting full of the many plots from all of the novels I read for my three book clubs.
BTW, last week I finished the Philadelphia book that Mayor Street chose for the "One city, one book" program. It's called Price of a Child by Lorene Cary. It's a fascinating look at the Underground Railway and abolitionism. I think it's a somewhat flawed book--charaters are hard to keep straight, and some plot points are sadly underdeveloped. But I did appreciate seeing white abolitionists though the eyes of African Americans--even those painted as "good guys" in our history books were far from saintly.
I'm beginning to realize my own ancestors' culpability, even if they did live in the Midwest and fight in the Union army in the Civil War, because it's likely they bought goods made cheap due to slave labor. Of course, that brings up the perennial question, How effective are boycotts?
No comments:
Post a Comment