1.03.2003

Thought for food
I took a day off yesterday and got the rare opportunity to watch Oprah. The topic was building a weight loss plan that will work for you. “Lose weight” is one of the most common New Year’s resolutions that gets broken within days of January 1.

One of Oprah’s guests recommended getting at the root of why you eat the way you do before starting any program.

So, raise you hand if you are an emotional eater who eats to feel good.

Yup, that’s me. As I wrote in an earlier post, food was my dearest friend when we were having difficulty conceiving.

Ah, but it’s so much worse than that. I realize that I have several other major eating triggers:
--Boredom. It’s very easy to start munching at my desk when my workday is dull.
--Social awkwardness. At parties, I can hide my clumsiness at making small talk by keeping my mouth full.
--Scarcity mentality. This is my biggest Achilles’ heel. My parents grew up during the Depression and instilled the need to never waste anything. As a result, I have a hard time passing up free food when it is on offer.

I’ve made some good progress on overcoming the scarcity mentality the past few months, and did really well steering clear of the piles of goodies all over the office during the holidays. Addressing emotional eating will be the next hurdle.

This leads me to my blog question of the day: What is your favorite pick-me-up, feel-good activity other than eating?

No comments: