We're kicking back and enjoying our first big snowstorm of the season. The first flakes began yesterday morning, as we watched a flock of corpulent robins take up residence in our juniper tree (below).
Between bouts of gorging themselves on the ripe, silvery-blue berries, the jolly birds perched alternately on the porch rails or rocking chairs and fluffed up their feathers to even more rotund proportions. How fun to offer hospitality so effortlessly.
This morning we missed attending church because the roads were treacherous, public transit is offering only spotty service and it was far to cold to wait for a train that might never come. We did a shortened version of morning prayer at home with Claire, followed by some Sunday-school type crafts based on Daniel 3 (the young men rescued from the firey furnace). Claire had a great time making "stained glass" fire pictures by melting old crayons on a warming tray and transferring the wax onto sheets of thin paper. We also listened to a live webcast of the sermon at Tenth.
After lunch, it was time to do some shoveling and let Claire play in the snow a bit.
I made the mistake of letting Nicky come outside without a leash. He took off in a blind run up the street, with me in hot pursuit. The more I called him, the faster he ran. He ran out in front of two cars, which fortunately stopped to let the demented dog and screeching woman pass. He then darted down the footpath into woodsy Wissahickon Park. The snow was too deep for me to follow very far.
In an act of desparation, I flopped down on my back there in the woods and pretended to be hurt to get him to come near enough to grab by the collar. This too proved fairly fruitless. He came within 10 feet then proceeded to bark and bark and bark at me, as if to say "C'mon, Mom, let's play tag some more!"
I got to my knees and begged the dog to come, my fury finally spent. More barking.
With no other ideas of how to capture Nicky, I got up and started clambering up the trail toward home. He eagerly followed and I finally got hold of his collar. The next back-aching block, I held tight to his collar and brought my chastened pup home.
I think I need a nap now.
No comments:
Post a Comment