Hospice
Dad started taking a turn for the worse yesterday. He began running a fever, and his platelets and electrolytes were still messed up. This morning we got bad news from the nephrologist--dad's kidney's have not been functioning normally. His salt levels have been so high since Sunday that irreversable brain damage has been caused. Even if the infections can be cured, he will never regain consciousness.
This afternoon, my mom and brother have a consult with the hospice staff. We want to move Dad back to the retirement community's hospice center to die peacefully. My mom is at peace about the decision, but at the same time scared and sad. She and Dad have been married 55 years.
It may sound strange, but it would be very meaningful to my family if Dad went home to the Lord on All Saint's Day. Dad has always been very enthusiastic about his faith and so open to what the Lord is doing.
It's hard to grasp the reality of losing a parent, even when I can see first hand that he is leaving us. I look at his hands and see him patiently teaching me to operate a darkroom, change a tire, paste up a newsletter page. I followed in his footsteps careerwise, a fact that made him so proud. I'm thankful he could walk me down the aisle on my wedding day and see Claire at least once.
No comments:
Post a Comment