8.11.2003

Blogger meeting
Among the highlights of our trip last month was meeting Dawn and Barb in Ohio. Barb's dog Angus and our Nicky became fast friends, being the same size and equally up for playing tag. Barb's cat Eleven, however, was far less enthusiastic than Nicky about any sort of friendship.

You see, Nicky mistook Barb's small, black feline for our small, black feline, Keats. Nicky was really missing his kitty brother who came to our home as a kitten and enjoys a good wrestling match every once in a while. Eleven, however, is far too dignified for such shenanigans. Nicky chased the poor kitty in circles and he was so eager to escape, he leapt up a chair and bounced off the ceiling. I've never seen a cat jump so high. Let's just say it was quite the icebreaker for our party.

Claire gorged on copious amounts of fruit, while we enjoyed a really yummy meal. The sausage and pastry dish was especially memorable (recipe, please!).

The conversation was lively and we stayed longer than we'd planned, we were having such a good time. I can't recall all the topics covered. Some of the things we discussed were the conference--and tangential topics related to talks given and people we met-- and careers and movies. Joel and I did our best to defend Moulin Rouge, which works to deconstruct the romantic musical genre and in so doing shows that stories about redemptive love resist deconstruction. (But many people can't get past the frenetic first half hour and don't get the humor.)

My first comment to Joel as we drove away was "I wish all these cool people didn't live so far away! I'd love to hang out with them more often!"

Thanks again for your gracious hospitality, Barb, and for giving up a vacation day, Dawn!

No comments: