Pen pals
While cleaning out a closet, I came across a bundle of old letters from a pen pal I had through high school and college. Talk about a blast from the past, some of the letters date back to 1982! I'd met this fellow at a Christian summer camp and we became friends because of a mutual interest in music.
How exciting it used to be to get mail. But of course, the letters seemed so few and far between. I envy modern kids and their online pen pals, able to shoot replies in no time, e-mail photos, IM or even use a Web cam. Of course, they miss some of the goofy goodies my pen pal used to send--Canadian coins, broken strings from his violin, stickers and French vocabulary lists.
I wish I knew exactly what I'd written in my first letter to this pen pal. I'm sure it was something dreadfully sassy, because he replied "I didn't expect any of the girls to fall madly in love with me, so don't give yourself credit with uncovering any of my suppositions." LOL. I must have accused him of being flirtatious, the sort of thing a 13-year-old girl considers high treason in male friends.
As I read through the stack, it was a little sad to see how ordinary the letters were--talk of the weather, school and grades, learning new instuments in band, family trips, plans for college. This fellow seemed so much more witty when I was 14, 15, 16 years old.
The last time we met in person was 1986. I was heading off for Messiah with new contact lenses and big dreams. He still had grade 13 to complete.
We stopped corresponding in college. I'm not sure which of us stopped answering the other's letters. Today it strikes me as a little sad that I've lost track of so many old friends.
Dear John from Altamonte, Ontario,
Do you remember meeting me at Camp Susque? We were going into 9th grade. We wrote letters regularly for the next six or seven years. What ever happened to you, John?
I graduated with an English degree, worked in publishing for 10 years, got a master's degree, got married, and now have a great kid. She loves to play our piano (not very well though, she's only one!).
Please write back soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment