8.18.2003

Reader's lament
Last night I discovered that Susan Howatch's much anticipated new St. Benet's novel, The Heartbreaker, is out. In fact, it has been out since April. Unfortunately, this seems like news I have to receive with fingers in both ears while whistling loudly because it's only available in hardback from Amazon UK. Not exactly in our budget right now. The paperback is available for pre-order if anyone really wants to make my late September birthday extra happy. ;-)

Carter Graham is back with her new, more feminine name, Carta. She's now doing fundraising for St. Benet's instead of working as a high-powered tax attorney. The setting is 1990s London during the recession. I'm eager to see how the story unfolds.

In the U.S., several of Howatch's early Gothic novels are back in print. These might be worth a read, not sure. One of the women in our book group had been somewhat prejudiced against Howatch because the early novels that made her popular had such sordid, overblown plots. I kind of thought that was just the expectation for the Gothic genre. This friend was really blown away by Howatch's 2000 novel The High Flyer, so I'm guessing early Howatch may really disappoint.

No comments: